Personal Injury FAQs

We have answered some of the more common questions people ask about making a personal injury compensation claim. If your question is not answered below, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Personal Injury team using the details at the bottom of this page.

Q - How do I choose a personal injury solicitor?

A - Before you appoint someone to manage your claim, be aware, not

all people are specialists in personal injury claims. You want a personal injury solicitor who can demonstrate they have the expertise needed to handle your claim but more importantly puts your needs first. You want to choose a personal injury solicitor who has a network of trusted and experienced contacts so you know you are in the right hands should you need to see a medical specialist.

At Crombie Wilkinson, our personal injury solicitors have considerable experience and expertise having successfully settled many cases throughout the region. We will take the time to listen to the details of your accident and give you guidance as to what claim you can make.

Q - What are the time limits in which I begin legal action in a personal injury claim?

A - There are different time limits within which you must begin legal action in a personal injury claim. You should therefore get legal advice urgently if you wish to claim compensation.

The most common claim in a personal injury case is negligence and the time limit for this is three years. This means that court proceedings must be issued within three years of you first being aware that you have suffered an injury.

In some cases, a court may decide to extend a time limit, depending on the circumstances of the case.

If you are considering taking legal action and have not yet been to a solicitor you will need to be aware of the time limits for taking action and should seek help from an experienced adviser, for example, a Citizens Advice Bureau

Q - Will I have to pay a fee?

A - We usually conduct personal injury work on a No Win No Fee basis. Most people’s claims mean they do not have to make any contribution towards the costs, though very occasionally minimal costs need to be recovered and are so once the claim has been settled. Most of our cases are insured to protect the client against costs. You may also already have insurance to cover your costs and we will need to check this for you.

Q - The accident was not my fault, how do I claim compensation for my injuries?

A - In most cases the Defendant will carry insurance for personal injury claims and we will notify them of the your claim. They will investigate and then make a decision on whether to pay compensation or not.

Q - What is the procedure for a personal injury claim?

A - We will normally arrange to see you and take down the details of the accident. We will need information such as the date and place of the accident, witnesses and whether it was reported to the Police or the employer. Once we are sure you have a good chance of receiving compensation we will notify the Defendant and also arrange to obtain your medical records and for you to see a medical expert, who will write a report on your injuries, so from that we can work out what your damages will be.


  • Sarah Leighton
      • 01904 624185
      • View profile