We are looking to recruit a Legal Advisor in a Agricultural/Commercial property role. Minimum 3 years PQE. This can be a full time or part time role, working hybrid from both our Malton office and remote working and reports to the Head of Department/Directors.
The Legal Adviser is responsible for providing advice and assistance to the firm’s clients in accordance with the plans and targets of the Rural Property department and the firm. They contribute to the growth and development of the department and supervise and mentor other members of staff when required. The Legal Advisor will also be required to deal with general Commercial Property work to contribute to the Commercial Property team.
- To embody and promote the firm’s values, as set out below.
- To assist the Directors in implementing the firm’s vision and strategy for the firm as a whole.
- Ensuring that the management of files and working practices within Rural and Commercial Property are in accordance with the firm’s published Policies, Plans and Procedures and in line with individual Departmental Guidelines.
- To provide a caring, quality service to the firm’s clients in accordance with the firm’s service pledge.
- To conduct own cases and assist other legal advisers in providing advice and representation to the firm’s clients.
- Ensure services are provided in a timely fashion and the client is informed regularly on progress and costs.
- Carry out duties in a professional manner, comply with relevant professional standards and any requirement set by relevant regulators including the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
- Develop and maintain the competencies necessary to provide a proper standard of service to clients and maintain a record of professional development.
- To promote firm as a whole.
- To act with good judgement, integrity and honesty at all times in the client’s best interests.
- To seek awareness of applicable law, solutions and remedies funding and compliances.
- Comply with internal procedures and systems of the firm including file and case management, file audits, client due diligence and time recording.
- Accurately record all chargeable time on a matter
- Maximise realisation of time when billing clients
- Achieve targets for time recording, billing, work in progress and debtor days.
- Take overall responsibility for credit control on own matters.
- To maximise profitability for the firm.
- To minimise waste and unnecessary expense to the firm.
- To work efficiently and effectively with the firm’s Legal Advisers and staff by embodying the firm’s citizenship value.
- Build strong working relationships with external stakeholders.
- To assist in managing staff and performance.
- To engage with the local community, referrers and contacts and promote the firm at every available opportunity.
- To participate in departmental meetings.
- Share information and best practice with colleagues.
- Adhere to and promote the firm’s equality and diversity policy.
- Strong academics, including undergraduate degree level qualification – Essential
- Qualification as Solicitor, Legal Executive or Licensed Conveyancer - Essential
- Experience in working with professional partnerships and LLPs - Essential
- Fee earning experience - Essential
- Experience in working within agricultural/rural property and/or interest and knowledge of the agricultural/farming industry – Desirable.
Additional Skills Required:
- Supervision skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good numerical ability
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to develop good relationships and work effectively
- Ability to use IT including desktop and case management systems
- Legal skills
Leading and deciding
- Makes effective decisions even under difficult circumstances
- Takes responsibility
- Shows initiative
- Provides others with clear direction
- Establishes standards of behaviour for others
- Motivates and empowers individuals
Supporting and co-operating
- Demonstrates interest in others
- Works effectively in teams and builds team spirit
- Upholds ethics and values
- Acts with integrity
- Promotes equal opportunities
Interacting and presenting
- Establishes effective relationships with colleagues, clients and external advisers and stakeholders
- Networks effectively inside and outside the organisation
- Makes a strong impression on others, gaining agreement and commitment through persuasion and negotiation
- Speaks fluently, expresses arguments clearly and convincingly and makes presentations with confidence
Analysing and interpreting
- Writes clearly and succinctly in an interesting and convincing manner
- Structures information in a logical manner to facilitate understanding by intended audience
- Applies specialist expertise
- Develops job knowledge and expertise and shares knowledge with others
- Analyses matters of a verbal and numerical nature, and other sources of information, breaks information down into components, probes for further information, generates workable solutions to problems
Creating and conceptualising
- Learns new tasks quickly
- Remembers information and gathers data for effective decision making
Organising and executing
- Sets clear objectives
- Manages time effectively
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Adheres to schedules and demonstrates commitment to the firm
Adapting and coping
- Adapts to changing circumstances
- Embraces change, open to new ideas
- Works productively in a stressful environment
- Controls emotions in difficult situations
- Handles criticism effectively
Enterprising and performing
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals
- Works longer hours where necessary
- Identifies opportunities for progressing to more demanding goals
- Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends
- Identifies business opportunities
- Demonstrates financial awareness
Crombie Wilkinson is one of North Yorkshire's largest and most long-established firms. With offices in York, Selby, Malton and Pickering we are uniquely placed to serve the region with a comprehensive and high-quality legal service and we place much importance on our local knowledge, as well as our speedy and personal service and our down to earth approach.
We are an ambitious firm, with high standards of client care. We are also passionate about developing our people and we are both Lexcel and Investors in People accredited.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package – which includes 25 days holiday a year (plus bank holidays), Birthday off work, Health Plan, Employee Assistance Programme, Staff Discounts, plus more.
We provide a fully supportive background to your Continuous Professional Development within a friendly team environment.
To apply for a job vacancy we are advertising, please email your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com